Goofy Guys is becoming stagnant again...

Jan 23, 02:20 PM · from the mouth of Tyler

It’s time we sweep out the cobwebs, open the windows, and air this little blog out. It’s beginning to fester.

What’s up with you guys? And how about the ladies who occasionally grace us with their presence? You too are Goofy Guys, you know.

Jake, how was Australia?

Andy, ever get that bedbug problem fixed?

Jimmy, how’s the new camera treatin’ you?

How bout this weather huh? Jimmy’s been dealt a serious blow of winter weather, whereas Jess and I went for a long walk the other day in t-shirts. We came across a cherry tree that was blooming. In January! Actually, we just got our first taste of semi-wintery weather on Sunday, when it snowed a few flakes in the morning then got icy by the evening. I had to scrape my car for the first time this winter yesterday.

Feel free to jump in here…

Love Ty.

stagnant shmagnant! I think it’s just now that the holidays are over, we’re all starting to get crazy busy. At least, that’s what’s happening to me.

Bedbugs: They persist in very small doses. The exterminator has convinced us to trash our cheap wooden bedframe in favor of a laminate one. Bedbugs apparently thrive in wood, with all its cracks and crevices. That happens tomorrow. In the meantime, we’ve still been living out of plastic bags and suitcases – we don’t keep anything formerly organic in our bedroom! That should change a couple weeks after the new frame arrives, providing Lisa doesn’t get bitten anymore.

Otherwise, like I said, things are pretty busy. I started wind ensemble again last night. I start my grad school class a week from today. And my elementary school is starting to pick up again now that the state tests are over. On top of that, all my TV shows are starting up again: Heroes, Battlestar, Lost, Family Guy. Thank the goat for DVR!

The weather’s been wierd here too – I scraped my car for the first and only time last week, and we haven’t had any snow stick. That’s too bad, because I want a snow day!

I’m VERY curious about Jake’s Australia trip. Do we get to see pictures?

And Jimmy & Sarah (Jimrah? Sarmy? Sirmothyah?) how’s that snow been treating you?

And Tyler, how are Jess and Megatron?

· Jan 23, 04:31 PM

Jess is doing alright. She’s been getting cravings. REAL strong cravings. But not for junk food or weird stuff like is typical of pregnancy. She’s been craving salad. I know, right?

Megatron just started kicking yesterday. Jess cried (joyfully). It was nice. I think I felt it, but it’s hard to tell. The baby’s still real small for now, about 6 inches long. This week begins our twentieth week, which is exactly half-way.

We’re also starting to get an influx of baby stuff. We got a second-hand pack-and-play yesterday from a coworker of mine. We’ve already got some clothes and bibs and hats and stuff. It’s cute. Another coworker of mine just gave me a huge bag full of used baby and child-rearing books (such as one by the late, famed, Dr. Spock).

We’re still going to try to be hippie parents to as much of a degree as we can manage. Jess’s goal is to give a natural child birth (i.e. NO drugs). She plans to breast-feed exclusively. When baby does start eating real food, it’ll be organic. We plan on co-sleeping (also known as “The Family Bed”) where the baby will sleep in bed with us rather than in a crib. I’m reading a book on the subject; it’s supposed to be better for development. We’re also planning on doing a combination of cloth diapering and flushable insert diapers, as opposed to your standard toss-in-the-trash-where-it-spends-500-years-in-a-landfill type diaper (i.e. Pampers, Huggies, etc…)

Other than that, we’re considering places to go on our babymoon, which is a last hurrah before the baby’s born. We’re considering Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC. I’m pushing for the gulf coast of FLA, cause it’ll be nice there, but I doubt she’ll go for it.

(I pushed for CO Jimmy, but she doesn’t want to fly. Plus, we only have 3 1/2 days for this vacay.)

Love Ty.

· Jan 23, 06:31 PM

Hippie parents. Awesome!

I’ve heard about this “Family Bed” thing, it being the one aspect of hippie parent-dome that I have any trouble understanding, and probably for all the wrong reasons. So, if you don’t mind, I have 2 questions about it.

1. How do you take care of your “adult needs” (SEX) with baby in your bed?

2. At what point do you move junior to his/her own sleeping quarters, and how do you deal with the instant separation anxiety that ensues?

3. (I know I said there’d only be 2. Crap) What happens when you have Optimus Prime? Is that when Megatron gets kicked out? Or do both of them stay around and feud for your attention?

I’m only curious – I’m sure you’ve thought of all this stuff. Maybe once I actually click on your book link I’ll understand it all.

· Jan 23, 08:10 PM

I’ll field this one in a new posting.

In the meantime… Jimmy? Iak? Sarahmonster? Lisa? Anyone?

· Jan 24, 12:59 PM
  5. jake responds with:

Stagnate this! ;-P

· Jan 24, 10:01 PM

Here’s a fun quote:

Imagine a world in which generations of human beings come to believe that certain films were made by God or that specific software was coded by him. Imagine a future in which millions of our descendants murder each other over rival interpretations of Star Wars or Windows 98. Could anything—anything—be more ridiculous? And yet, this would be no more ridiculous than the world we are living in.

Sam Harris, author (1967 – )

· Jan 25, 04:38 PM

I like that too. I also like this. Bryan would DEFINITELY get a kick out of this one – it sounds like something his dad would do.

· Jan 25, 07:38 PM

That was great!

· Jan 26, 12:40 PM

Jimmy? Where are you Jimmy! We miss you!!

· Jan 30, 05:39 PM
  10. Jimmy's Girlie responds with:

The snow… aaaah, the snow…

Alright. So here’s the DL on the snow. I’ve lived in CO since 1st grade, that means I was six years old. SIX. In that time, snow has NOT stayed on the ground without being melted COMPLETELY (event the piles) in less than a week. Yes, this counts the blizzards that I encountered in 2nd grade (1992) and eigth grade (1998). Oh yeah and the blizzard a few years ago when I was a freshman in the dorms (2003). Yep, all of that snow was gone within a week. Sunny Colorado, remember??

NO. This is not Colorado any longer. This must be Saskatchewan, or somewhere farther north. MUST. Maybe even just Iowa.

Our first blizzard was the week before Christmas. On Thursday. I was so excited for it! LOVED it. It was great. So much Christmas cheer. Hot Chocolate, stayin’ warm and cozy inside… music playing, cookies, sledding, all that jazz.

Then it snowed again. The next Thursday.

And again, the next Thursday. Why is it always THURSDAY?!?

Let me tell you… the snow gets really yucky after a while from all of the grit from cars and roads and pollution… the roads are horrible… AND SNOW WITHOUT HOLIDAY CHEER IS MISERABLE. No more Christmas lights… no more cheer.

Well, we’ve had constant snow cover now for more than 41 days and counting. The roads have been horrid and packed with ice for 41 days and counting. Sure, there are a couple days out of every week that it melts just enough of the direct sun areas to make it muddy, but it’s covered up again a few days later, and the big drift in the back yard is still there. Parking lots are filled with ice bergs. I can’t remember this long of constant snow cover in my entire life. AND, it’s snowing again today. Wednesday, I guess that’s close enough to Thursday.

It has snowed at least once every week since the week before Christmas. Light or heavy, it’s snowed nonetheless.

Usually when people think of CO they think of snow, but in reality what USUALLY happens is that it dumps once in late October, then it’s 50 degrees with a few weeks of cold snaps that are just below freezing (not zero) and it’s cold and grey and brown until March, when it dumps again. Then it melts and happy spring is here, that’s it.

Our plows weren’t ready for this. We don’t even have enough plows. It’s like when it snows one inch in Texas and they close school… it snowed 3 feet in December and they couldn’t get food to the stores for a few weeks. Toward the end of that first blizzard session we didn’t have fresh veggies. It’s better now, but…

ARGH.

I kept saying that I hated how brown it was during winter here, how cold it was and that cold was no fun without snow and that I wished it would just snow and get it over with. Well, I got my wish, and I take it back.

I forgot that I liked the part where the roads would melt and the yucky snow would go away between. Blech.

I’m just frustrated, that’s all. Snow is supposed to be in the mountains, not on my yard.

Oh, and it’s MUDDY on the slightly warmer days that it’s not snowing. It’s not enough to melt the ice off the roads, NO, but it’s enough to make our front yard a mud pit. Lovely.

Oh, and all the cars are VERY dingy. Nobody is bothering to wash them because we all know that it’s just gonna snow again in a few days anyway.

Okay lovelies, you asked for the snow update, so there it is!

Luv,
    Me

· Jan 31, 04:09 PM
  11. Beer responds with:

I’m sure at least a couple of you guys noticed the comment spam flowing in the last couple days. I’ve installed a plugin that should help block it. I’ll try and keep up on it, but unless they spam my posts I don’t get an email about it, but let me know if it pops up again and it looks like I didn’t notice.

· Feb 1, 10:31 AM

Yup, I’ve noticed as well. Good on you for the plugin! How feasible would it be to add one of those things where you have to type in the scrambled message in order to post?

· Feb 1, 11:19 AM

I actually think there’s a plugin for that too, but I try and stay away from them. Captcha’s can create issues with respectable users and though an extra hurdle, I’ve seen reports of spammers being able to parse out the letters and numbers from all but the most difficult to read captchas. At this point the benefits don’t outweigh the issues.

· Feb 1, 05:23 PM