Band, Birthday, and Beer

Feb 11, 02:28 PM · from the mouth of Andy

I have 3 things to share with you all. I thought about putting them in different postings, but it occurred to me that then I’d push every other posting off the top 3, and I wouldn’t want to do that to you guys. So, explanations aside, here goes.

FIRST, In a couple weeks I’m taking the Columbia Wind Ensemble on tour to Yale, for a joint concert with the Yale Concert Band. It’s our first collaboration with another major college ensemble, so I’m very excited about it. It would mean a lot to me if you local boys could make it! It’s on Friday, February 23rd at 8pm in Woolsey Hall and will feature all kinds of great music, including one from our CRHS past: Gavorkna Fanfare!

SECOND: I’ll be traveling to CT again the weekend of March 30 to April 1. Since that’s so close to my birthday, as well as Bryan’s and Jim’s and only a month after Jake’s, I thought it would be nice to plan something with you local boys for that Saturday in honor of us getting old. Who’s going to be around? Lisa has suggested that, for her amusement, we try out a drinking game called Edward 40-hands, but I’m game for regular beering as well.

FINALLY, speaking of beer, I’ve discovered a new favorite brand with a great beers and a whole lot of character. Stone Brewing has a whole selection of IPAs that are excellent, but none as good as their basic, which rivals my favorite Dogfish Head brews in its flavor, intensity, and drunk factor. They also produce Arrogant Bastard Ale, the quintessential condescending beer snob brew for the rest of us – just the text on the bottle (think “you’re not worthy” explained in two soul-crushing paragraphs) is enough to make it worth buying. The beer itself is spectacular as well, despite not being an IPA! The 7.2% alcohol content certainly helps with that…

Anyhoo, there’s 3 things that oughta get you talking.

FREE BEER! [8]

Yeay Andy! Congrats on the Yale thing. Good going. Sorry I’m not a local boy, otherwise I’d totally be there.

Edward 40 Hands looks funny… something I should have discovered in college. In fact, I don’t think I’ve even drank a 40 since college. I think Heineken is the only respectable beer to be sold in 40s, and I’m not even sure about that.

I’m a big fan of Stone Brewing. All their beers are great, and I have to agree about the discourse on why Arrogant Bastard is too good for you on the back. I have a new favorite brewery too… Nevins Homebrew! Two of my beers are coming into their prime right now. My Pumpkin Ale, which I brewed back in September is definitely a lot better tasting now than it was back in October when I first tasted it. It’s got a deep dark amber color, an aroma of spices and maltiness, and it has a subtle honey note from the honey I used to prime it with (priming=carbonating). My other one is one I’m REALLY proud of. It’s a double hopped pilsner. I was almost afraid this beer would go down the drain because I lost track of time and accidentally let it sit in the secondary fermenter for almost two months (standard time is one to two weeks). Turned out to be serendipity, as this is absolutely the clearest, cleanest beer I’ve ever brewed. When I first sampled it in December(?), it was still very green tasting (green=young, in beer speak). But the extra couple of months have really made a difference. The double hopping I mentioned was done at the very beginning of the boil, producing a very clean, bitter flavor. Had I added the extra hops towards the end of the boil (average boil is 60 minutes), it would have a produced a very floral, aromatic hop presence, likening it more to a Pale Ale.

Anyhow, I hope you boys get to try these (before they’re gone forever). One more reason to plan a trip down to Ole Virginnie, preferably before Megatron comes in mid-June.

In other news, I insisted that Jimmy and Sarah go see Martin Sexton when he came to Boulder, which I believe was last night… Jimmy? How was it?

Love Ty.

· Feb 12, 12:49 PM

Funny you should mention that… my mom pointed out that the Town Times mentioned the Yale thing and I was considering going, without any pushing.

And I should be around that weekend. But how does it work when we have to pee? That’s plenty of liquid…

· Feb 12, 04:20 PM

hehe – that’s the whole point of Edward 40 Hands. Who can go the longest without peeing? I’ve never played myself, but I can’t imagine it would be anything but ridiculous drunken fun.

Town Times mentioned the Yale thing? I guess my mom has been doing some publicity work!

· Feb 12, 04:43 PM

D’oh—yay Andrew, I’d definitely come if I could. I wish you the absolute best concert possible. And wow dude, of all the places, you simply can’t beat Woolsey Hall for acoustics – I’m sure it will be deliciously sublime!

Oh man… all the talk of beer makes Jim sad that he’s out of it (and it’s snowing, so I’m too lazy to go get more.) :) I agree with you Andy, Stone makes some fantastic brews, Arrogant Bastard being the best IMO too. That stuff just oozes flavor (and happy times.) Damn you Tyty for teasing me with delicious sounding products from Nevin’s Brewery.

So, two words come to mind over the Martin Sexton concert: FUCK Wow.

Seriously… that’s about all that I can come up with—he rocks the freaking earth… the universe… he makes the Big Bang look like a wimpy piano recital. Seriously—I’ve never heard the crowd get that loud in Boulder Theater before. Since it was an etown taping, we didn’t get as much of him as you would during a normal concert, but you can guarantee that we’ll be getting tickets to the next show (in April.) Thanks for the rocking recommendation.

· Feb 13, 01:53 AM

I’m sorry I missed your show the other night. I smacked my forehead at about 8:15 remembering it was Friday night. You can spank me with your 40.

· Feb 25, 09:48 PM

Not sure if anyone will actually SEE this, but…

There are 2 links related to my concert!

Us playing Ticheli’s Nitro on youtube

The first ever story about us in the Columbia Spectator

Also, happy b-day Jake! I don’t know what the weather is like where you are, but here in the NYC suburbs God is crying because you and I can’t be together. =(

· Mar 2, 11:17 AM

Way to go Andy! I tried to post a comment on the YouTube video, but it wouldn’t let me. It said I had to confirm my email, but even after I confirmed, it still wouldn’t let me. Oh well. Way to go!!

And Jake deserves his own posting. I’ll copy your comment to that, Andy….

· Mar 2, 04:08 PM

Thank you Tyty.

I should also mention that that youtube video did not originate from anyone in my group. Someone in the Yale audience must have liked us so much that they put it up on their own. I wasn’t even aware of any recording devices in there!

· Mar 2, 04:57 PM