And now for a political rant...

Sep 21, 02:49 PM · from the mouth of Jim
<soapbox>
I am so bloody disgusted by the pig-fucking barbaric animals known as Jihad. Humanity is doomed with worthless shit like these assholes wandering around the planet. I know that they’re pissed at our policies, and I can’t blame them for being mad at America, but c’mon folks, terrorism, beheading? Move the fuck out of the 18th century, assholes.

Take the most recent beheading for example. They’re demanding that we release all of their women from prison. Given the vile bullshit that we allowed to happen at Abu Ghraib, I can’t blame them for having their blood boiled. But isn’t there some better way to do it? How about cooperating, becoming civilized and peaceful – what a radical idea… I know this is what terrorism is about, but what if we were to pull the bullshit that they’re pulling, what would that make us?

I mean, if they think we’re evil now, what would happen if we came back and said, “hey mother fuckers, not only aren’t you going to get your women back, but we’re gonna cut their fucking heads off on video instead and send it to you. That’s what you get for fucking with America.”

Anyway, I feel better now. I’m just so troubled to my core when I keep hearing about this stuff. It’s disgusting to me that we’ve put ourselves in this situation and now completely innocent people are dying, and grusomely at that, for such a bullshit war in the first place. I wish we could just get the hell out of there and start saving the lives that matter.

Jihad doesn’t represent Islam and the majority of good human beings over there, but ya know what, why can’t America let them take care of their own trash for once?

</soapbox>

Sorry guys for spewing such hatred and disgust. I just can’t explain the horror that my soul experiences when I read things like:

“The militant in the center read out a statement, as the hostage rocked back and forth and side to side where he sat. After finishing, the militant pulled a knife and cut his throat until the head was severed.

The victim gasped loudly as blood poured from his neck. His killer held up the head at one point, and placed it on top of the body.”

Obviously these people have no humanity or souls.
    · Sep 21, 03:24 PM

I agree completely. When the first one happened (Nick Berg) I was so udderly disgusted and sicked that when I saw it on the news I literally couldn’t work or eat or anything. I was shaking with the mere thought of it. Since then, they’ve done the same to people from other countries, and you hear about it every week. Now, with the 2 Americans and the Brit, I’ve seen so much of it that I’m almost numb to it. Not to say I’m still not infuriated and disgusted and sickened, but it’s kind of like when you get real sick and throw up and then you can’t throw up any more cause you’ve allready expelled every bodily fluid you have, but you still feel sick and your stomach feels sore.
    · Sep 21, 04:12 PM

You guys need to get more of your news from the internet. You don’t have to see the video unless you want!

The fundamental problem that allows all this to happen is (pardon the pun) Fundamentalism. Like Jim said, these buttlords who “love death as much as you love life”, or so they say, don’t represent the mainstream Muslim population. They believe that their way of doing things is the only right way (a product of Monotheism, apologies to you Catholics out there) but what makes them truly different is they believe they have a divine mandate to push their beliefs on the entire world. And so they push, but in doing so they misrepresent their religion. For example, I read somewhere that “Jihad” actually translates as “struggle”, implying an internal struggle to be a good person and a good Muslim in the mainstream faith. The Fundamentalists take Jihad outside of the self and somehow interpret it to allow horrific violence, which is never condoned by mainstream Islam.

Beliefs like this can only flourish in a repressive society where change is only possible through desperate acts. I imagine our problems in this region would be very different if, say, Saudi Arabia was a democracy rather than an Islamist monarchy/dictatorship. I also am sure that, when these head-choppers get their women back, they’ll slap burkas on ‘em and forbid them to ever go out again, except maybe to have babies.

So this stuff really does make me mad, especially when we respond by ignoring the Fundamentalists and going after a secular state that didn’t harbor terrorists, thereby creating more fundamentalists. No matter how we see it, invading any country in that region will only send more young Muslims to terrorist training camps, and make ordinary Muslims more wary of supporting us. In their eyes, our preemptive strike can only make us their enemy.

wow, where did all that come from? I guess hanging out with elementary school kids has put me below my big-word quota for the day.
    · Sep 21, 07:32 PM

Well said indeed!
    · Sep 22, 12:34 AM

Ya know this is a little bit of a tangent, but I like how HTML tags have invaded our language, as in Jim’s use of < soapbox > and < /soapbox >. I remember learning that code when I was 16 and putting up the Pickled Pollies website, then I saw it in e-mails on my fraternity list (lots of geeks in our house) even up to the present, and now it survives in Jim.

Random, I know. But this is more random.

< flatulence >

< /flatulence >

(and of course I can’t get it to look right cuz I’m still a dumbass. So I blame El Nino!)
    · Sep 23, 12:08 AM
  6. Jake responds with:

Yeah, my old roommate and I use html tags instead of * do denote actions like that. So we’ll do something like <pick_nose />

Of course we are total geeks about it too. So it only makes sense. I thought about using a different language, but HTML seems to be the easiest. I guess I could do php, but that would take to long to write out even simple commands, at least beyond the stupid things like just typing in print or something…

<?php
    $act = new lifeAction; //initialize class
    $act->doAction(“donkey_punch”); //pass action to function for execution
    $act->yell(“Take that Bryan!”);
    ?>
    · Sep 23, 03:15 PM
  7. Jake responds with:

See, and I left out the include command to bring in the class so I could even execute it. Way to complicated compared to HTML. Oh yeah, if you type in the entities for the brackets they show up correctly, it looks better than spaces.

ie. instead of < /> you write out &lt; /&gt;
    · Sep 23, 03:20 PM

You guys are goofy. Jake, did you see my toast card? You da man in a big way.
    · Sep 23, 03:29 PM